Lava is a stunning hill station in West Bengal, situated about 34 kilometers away from Kalimpong. If you are looking for a serene and picturesque getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life, then Lava Kalimpong might be the perfect choice for you. It is surrounded by alpine floras and interrupted by sailing white clouds, and echoes of monastery bells and chants.
There are many locations in this town which will give fill your heart with tranquility. It is also one of the rare places in West Bengal where you can witness snowfall during winter.
Lava also offers many opportunities for you to discover its diverse flora and fauna, as well as its rich cultural heritage.
In this article, you will get to know the following points about Lava Kalimpong,
Let’s see each of these points in detail.
How to reach Lava (Kalimpong)
Lava is well-connected to all the major cities in the region.
From Siliguri: You can take the road via Kalimpong (67.3 km) or via Dooars and Damdim (97 km) to reach Lava. Both these routes take about 3 hours by car. Local transport is also available that will take you there at a fraction of the cost.
From Darjeeling: Lava is about 80 kilometers from Darjeeling. You can take the road via Kalimpong which takes about 3.5 hours by car.
From NJP: You can take a road via Kalimpong and Algara (105 km) or via Dooars and Damdim (97 km). Both routes take about 3.5 hours by car.
Places to visit in Lava (Kalimpong)
There are a lot of places that you can visit in Lava. Some of them are,
1. Changey Waterfall
Changey waterfall is a beautiful waterfall cascading from a height of 150 feet amidst the thick greeneries. The water of this majestic waterfall is crystal clear.
The sound of chirping Himalayan Birds and the flowing water is very soothing. You have to trek 900 m to reach the waterfall from the last motorable point.
2. Kagyu Thekchen Ling Monastery
Kagyu Thekchen Ling Monastery, also known as Lava Monastery, is a religious site in the picturesque village of Lava. It was built in 1987 by Karma Lodro Chokyi. Today it houses more than 100 monks and you can see their indulgence in meditation and various religious rites.
The architecture of the monastery is impressive. You can see beautiful panoramic views of nature from this place.
3. Tiffin Dara View Point
Located 4 km from Lava, Tiffin Dara View Point is situated in Rishop and is one of the famous vantage points in West Bengal. The viewpoint offers a scenic 360 view of Kanchenjunga, Jelep La pass, and Nathu La Pass.
You can take a 4 km walk uphill from Lava through the forests of orchids, rhododendrons, and pines to reach this point.
4. Nature Interpretation Centre
Lava Tourism is incomplete without a visit to the Nature Interpretation Centre. It is situated at the entrance of Neora Valley National Park and is a haven for nature lovers.
You can explore vivid wildlife in this place. There are enchanting displays of orchids and dioramas, photographs, models, stuffed birds, and animals.
5. Lava View Point
Lava View Point is a breathtaking viewpoint from where you can see majestic Himalayan peaks, dense forests of pine and spruce, and tiny hamlets scattered around the region.
Early mornings are ideal to observe sunrise and sunset. When fog surrounds the area the place looks more mystical.
Things to do in Lava (Kalimpong)
- Witness the beautiful coniferous forests, alpine faunas, and floras in the Nature Interpretation Centre. Click abundant pictures of these treasures as well.
- Enjoy the scenic view of Pedong and know the historical significance of the place associated with the Anglo-Bhutanese war in 1865.
- Visit the astounding Lava Monastery set in the backdrop of Mt Kanchenjunga with a noticeable architecture. Indulge in chanting prayers and seeking blessings of Lord Buddha.
- Have an exclusive 360-degree view of nature from Tiffin Dara View Point.
- Visit the spectacular and pearl-white, surging Changey Waterfall that is sure to take off all your worries and stress away
- Visit the nearby hamlets, mingle with the locals, and trek through the dense pine and rhododendrons
- Visit Lolegaon, a small Lepcha village blessed with Cypress and Dhupi trees.
Best time to visit Lava Kalimpong
You can visit Lava at any time of the year. Each season displays the place in different colors and unique weather. The best time to visit Lava is during the winter and spring, i.e, from November to March.
During this time you can experience more beautiful weather, mist-covered tea gardens, sparkling mountain peaks, and many more. You can explore the sprawling lush green meadows, and colorful blossoms, and gaze at the clear skies during the spring. A perfect escapade to spend your vacation.
Places to stay in Lava (Kalimpong)
There are many hotels and guesthouses where you can stay in Lava. These accommodations provide a cozy ambiance and have all modern amenities.
Some recommended hotels, homestays, and guesthouses in Lava (Kalimpong) are Suvarna Homestay, WBFDC Resort, and Jhandi Eco Hut.
These are some points you must know about Lava (Kalimpong). You can spend a peaceful weekend with your friends or family here and rejuvenate.
Most people merge the tour of Lava with Lolegaon and have a wonderful vacation amidst nature.
Some other Articles You Might Like
- Saino: The Heritage Bungalow Homestay (Takdah) – History, Food
- 7 Best Places To Visit Near Ajodhya Pahar (Purulia)
- 7 Best Places to visit in Mirik (Darjeeling) West Bengal
- Gour Malda (West Bengal) Tour Guide – History, How to Reach
- Lava, Kalimpong (West Bengal) – Attractions, Things To Do
- 5 Best Amusement Parks You Must Visit In Kolkata (West Bengal)
Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the article may contain affiliate links. This means when you book or buy something using these links, you help support the website at no extra cost.