A plate full of Fried rice packed with robustness and a bit of zing, is always a delight.
Fried rice can be cooked in various styles using different combinations of ingredients. All are equally mouth-watering and comforting. However, in this recipe, we will get to know how the Veg fried rice is made, and that too in Bengali style.
This recipe is a blend of fluffy rice along with various types of vegetables, nuts, raisins, and a few spices. Also, the tantalizing warm and sweet fragrance of the ghee adds extra goodness to the dish. It is just the right amount of spicy together with a sweet and savory palate to it.
You can prepare it any day, even during the pujas as it is completely a vegetarian recipe.
Let us look through the list of ingredients and the procedure to make Bengali-style Veg Fried Rice.
Veg Fried Rice Recipe (Bengali-Style)
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1½ – 2 cup Basmati rice
- 1 Carrot large
- 8 – 10 Green Beans
- 1 Capsicum large
- ½ – ¾ cups Green Peas
- 3 – 4 Bay leaf
- 1 2- inch Cinnamon stick
- 4 – 5 Black Peppercorns
- 4 – 5 Cloves
- 3 – 4 Green Cardamom
- ½ tsp Garam Masala powder
Boil the rice
- First, wash the basmati rice and transfer it into a large boiling pot.
- Fill it with sufficient amount of water and plate it on medium flame.
- Let the rice boil until cooked to perfection. Keep on checking in between.
Spread the rice
- As soon as the rice is cooked 95 %, immediately drain the water using a colander. This will stop the rice from further cooking.
- Now, take a large plate or tray (can be two) and spread the rice on it. Spread it nicely so that they do not stick with each other.
- Cover the rice with kitchen tissues or paper towels and let them rest. This makes the rice fluffy and prevents it from forming lumps.
Prepare the vegetables
- Next, wash the veggies nicely.
- Peel the carrot and cut them into 1 inch strips (thin).
- Cut the capsicum into strips as well. Chop the beans diagonally into 1 cm pieces.
- For the green peas, you can use it fresh or frozen. Keep them aside.
Grind the sugar
- Take a blender and add sugar granules.
- Grind them into a fine powder and keep them aside.
Fry the vegetables
- Now, take a cooking pan or kadhai and add 1 tbsp vegetable oil.
- Let the oil heat until it smokes a little and then add the carrots.
- Fry them until a bit soft and then add the green beans.
- Stir them nicely and keep the flame on medium.
- Next, add the capsicum and green peas and combine well.
- Fry them for about 3-4 minutes and add some salt.
- Stir and combine.
- After about 2 minutes, take them out of the kadhai and transfer them onto a plate.
Fry the spices
- Add 1 tsp of ghee to the same kadhai and then add the bay leaves, cinnamon stick ( break it into a few pieces), cloves, cardamom, and black pepper corns.
- Stir them until fragrance comes out of the aromatics.
Add the nuts and raisins
- To this, add the cashew nuts and raisins.
- Fry them lightly to get a light brown color on the cashew nuts.
Add the vegetables
- Now, add the fried veggies into the kadhai along with the green chilis (slit them from the middle) and combine everything nicely for a minute.
- Turn off the flame and transfer them onto a plate.
Prepare fried rice
- Now take a large container and layer the basmati rice and the veggies.
- Toss them all together gently so that the rice grains do not break.
- Now, turn on the flame and add some ghee into the kadhai. Let it heat until it smokes a little.
- Slowly add the rice and veggie mix and stir continuously. Keep the flame on medium.
- Add salt to taste, sugar to taste (we need the fried rice to be a bit sweet but not too much), and the garam masala powder.
- Combine everything gently and let the flavors seep into the rice.
- Fry the rice for about 3 – 4 minutes and then take a taste test. Scrape from all the sides and the bottom so that the rice does not stick with the kadhai.
- Add if anything is needed.
- Now, when it is done, transfer them into a big bowl.
- Garnish the Vegetable Fried rice by sprinkling some black pepper powder.
Voila! The scrumptious Bengali style Veg Fried rice is ready to be served. Pair it with Chicken Kasha, Chili Chicken, Mutton Kosha, or any other item of choice. It also tastes fantastic with any veg gravy like Paneer Masala, Matar Paneer, etc.
The amalgamation of different textures and subtle tangs is absolutely appetizing. Make it and enjoy it as your lunch. It is hearty and filling.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Koraishutir Kochuri Recipe | How To Make Motor Sutir (Peas) Kachori
- Soyabean Kofta Curry Recipe (Bengali-Style) – How To Make At Home
- Sada Aloor Tarkari Recipe | How To Make Bengali Light Potato Curry
- Spring Roll Recipe | How To Make Crispy Spring Roll Easily
- Paneer Kabab Recipe | How To Make Paneer Tikka At Home
- Methi Saag Bora Recipe | How To Make Fenugreek Leaves Pakoda