Sittong is a quaint hilly village in the Darjeeling district of West Bengal. It is also known as the Orange Village because of its abundant orange orchards that cover the valley in winter.
This is a scenic and serene destination that is perfect for nature lovers, birdwatchers, and peace seekers. Situated at 4000ft., it offers a panoramic view of the eastern Himalayan range, including Mt. Kanchenjunga.
Sittong is an ideal place for tourists to escape the summer heat and enjoy the tranquil atmosphere.
In this article, you will get to know the following points about Sittong,
- How to reach
- Natural beauty
- Things to do
- Best time to visit
- Places to stay
- Nearby attractions
Let’s see each of these points in detail.
How to reach Sittong
|NJP to Sittong Distance||34 kilometers|
|Siliguri to Sittong Distance||25 kilometers|
|Darjeeling to Sittong Distance||54 kilometers|
|Kalimpong to Sittong Distance||68 kilometers|
The best way to reach Sittong is to take a train to New Jalpaiguri Station (NJP), a bus to Siliguri Bus Stand, or a flight to Bagdogra Airport. From there, book a cab to Sittong. You can also get shared Jeeps or Buses that will take you to Sittong from NJP or Siliguri Bus Stand.
The distance from NJP is about 34 kilometers and will take you about 1.5 hours. You can either take the route via Teesta River or via Hill Cart Road. Both these routes offer beautiful views of the mountains, forests, tea gardens, and orange orchards along the way. However, according to me, the one via the Teesta River is a bit more scenic.
The natural beauty of Sittong
Sittong is famous for its bright-colored oranges that stand out against the lush green backdrop. Apart from that, the majestic curve of Mt Kanchenjunga offers a breathtaking view of nature’s splendor.
The scenic landscapes of the small villages are soothing to the eye. The place is also a haven for birdwatchers, as many species of birds flock here, especially during winter.
You can stay in one of the many homestays here and witness a spectacular sunrise and sunset with a blaze of colors. The green fields with fresh organic vegetables also add to the charm of the place from afar.
There are a lot of attractions and places to visit near Sittong. Some of them are,
- Ahaldara Viewpoint
- Namthing Pokhri (Lake)
- Jogighat Bridge
- Orange Garden
- Senchal Wildlife Sanctuary
- Jogikhola Waterfalls
- Pokriatar View Point
- Simring Tea Garden
Things to do in Sittong
There are a lot of things you can do in Sitong.
- Stroll around the place to experience the serenity of nature.
- Explore the beautiful rural settlement and know about the culture and heritage of the Lepcha community.
- Visit the church to soak in the spiritual ambiance.
- Spot and photograph the diverse birds that inhabit the area and cherish their rare sightings.
- Wander through the vast and verdant orange orchards and enjoy their sweet fragrance.
- Bask in the peacefulness of nature while sitting amidst the fresh organic vegetables of farmland and the extensive paddy fields.
- Admire the beauty of pristine greenery along the Riyang River.
- Have some fun with trekking or camping and make unforgettable memories alone or with your friends.
Best time to visit Sittong
The best time to visit Sittong is from October to February. The weather remains cool and pleasant during his time.
You will be amazed by the scenic views of the snow-clad mountains, the colorful migratory birds, the white orchids, and the tea gardens bathed in sunlight. You can also have fun with various outdoor activities.
Although Sittong is open all year round, this is the most ideal time to enjoy its beauty.
Places to stay in Sittong
There are many options for staying in Sittong, ranging from homestays to hotels to resorts.
Some recommended stays are, Sittong Village Retreat, Shivakhola Adventure Camp, Sittong Homestay, Nature Lover, and Heritage Homestay.
You can choose the one you like depending on your budget and preference.
(P.S.: The prices are based on information from Travel booking websites and may vary)
Other attractions near Sittong
Some famous attractions to visit near Sittong are,
|Attraction||Distance from Sittong|
These are some points you must know about Sittong. It is a perfect place to relax and enjoy nature’s beauty.
You will be enchanted by the colonial architecture, the friendly locals, and the fragrant tea gardens. Sittong’s attractions will rejuvenate your soul and take you away from the urban noise.
Some other Articles You Might Like
- Ropeway In Darjeeling (Rangeet Valley) – Ticket Price, Timings
- Bhalukhop (Kamlimpong) West Bengal – Things To Do, Resorts
- Alipore Zoo Kolkata Online Ticket Booking Process 2023
- Alipore Zoo (Kolkata) – Ticket Price, Timings, Attractions
- Darjeeling Toy Train Ticket Booking Online Process 2023
- 6 Best Places To Visit In Namchi (Sikkim)
Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the article may contain affiliate links. This means when you book or buy something using these links, you help support the website at no extra cost.