Who does not like a creamy, warm, and comforting meal? The Palak Chicken or the Spinach Chicken Curry is a flavorful dish with a beautiful green color.
The juicy chunky pieces of chicken together with the smooth gravy will make you want more. Indians love this curried dish as it holds taste, along with the goodness of the spinach.
Palak Chicken is very simple to prepare. Just a few steps will yield an incredible result. Get the needed ingredients and wear your apron to start with the cooking. The tangy, savory, and creamy recipe will be ready to be savored in no time.
Let us see the ingredients and the process to make.
Palak Chicken Recipe (Easy to Cook)
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Mixer Grinder
- 500 g Chicken boneless
- 1 tbsp Lime or Lemon juice
- ½ tsp Kashmiri Red Chili powder
- ½ tsp Black Pepper powder
- 1 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
For the Gravy
- 200-250 g Baby Spinach
- 4 green chilis or according to heat tolerance
- 1 onion medium to large
- 1 cup Tomato chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 20 Cashew nuts or Fresh Cream
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 2-3 Green Cardamom
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- ½-1 tbsp Kasuri Methi
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Fresh Cream
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
Marinate the Chicken
- First, clean the chicken pieces and then transfer them into a large mixing bowl.
- In the chicken, add oil, lime or lemon juice, black pepper powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, and salt to taste.
- Mix all the ingredients until all the chicken pieces are coated nicely.
- Cover the bowl and keep it aside. Let the chicken rest.
Prepare the veggies
- For the gravy, start by rinsing the baby spinach.
- After the spinach is rinsed well, peel and chop the onion finely.
- Next, cut the tomato in half and deseed it. Then, chop the two halves of the tomato. We need 1 cup full of chopped tomatoes (peel the tomatoes before chopping).
Heat some oil
- Now, take a pan or kadhai and add oil.
- Let the oil heat until it smokes a little.
- To this, add the green chilis and cashew nuts.
- Stir them well until you see a blister on the skin of the green chilis.
Add the spinach
- Next, add the baby spinach and sauté.
- Stir until all the leaves wilt. By this time the raw flavour of the spinach should be gone.
- After about 5-6 minutes of sauteing, transfer them into a bowl and keep aside.
Make spinach puree
- Let them cool down completely and then transfer them into a blender.
- Add around half a cup of water and blend the chilis, spinach, and nuts into a fine puree. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Keep it aside to use later.
Fry the spices
- Take the same pan or kadhai and add some oil.
- Let the oil heat until it smokes and to it add the bay leaf, black cardamom, green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, and cumin seeds.
- Stir them until you get the fragrance from the aromatics.
Add the veggies
- Then add the finely chopped onions.
- Stir them well until they turn translucent. Keep the flame on medium.
- Next, add the ginger and garlic paste.
- Combine all the ingredients and keep in stirring.
- When they start to turn brown, add the chopped tomatoes.
- Stir consistently.
- Add salt to taste and combine nicely.
- When the tomatoes turn mushy, smash them well with all the other ingredients with the spatula.
- Keep the flame on medium and cover the pan or kadhai. Let them cook for a few minutes or until the oil starts to separate out from them.
Add the chicken
- After this, add the marinated chicken to the kadhai.
- Combine the chicken with the spices and continue stirring them.
- Cook the chicken for about 5-6 minutes or until they turn white.
- Now, add the garam masala and mix nicely.
Add some hot water
- Next, heat ½ a cup of water.
- When the water comes to a rolling boil, add it to the kadhai.
- Combine all the ingredients and cover.
- Cook until the gravy thickens a little and the chicken pieces turn tender.
Add the spinach puree
- When the chicken turns tender, add the spinach puree.
- Let everything simmer on medium flame.
- Stir occasionally and let everything come together.
- Cook until the gravy thickens.
- Add salt to taste. If you want, you might add sugar to taste to balance out the salt.
- Add hot water if the gravy is too thick. Take a taste test and add if anything is needed.
- To this add the Kasuri Methi.
- Mix everything nicely and cook until you are satisfied with the taste.
- When it is done, transfer the Palak Chicken into a bowl.
- Garnish the chicken with a tbsp of fresh cream.
Voila! The succulent Palak Chicken is ready to be relished.
Pair it with naan, tandoori roti, paratha, or simply steamed rice. Mop up the yummy goodness with these to enjoy the most of it. A portion of freshly cut salad adds an edge to the meal.
Make it irrespective of the day or during an occasion to surprise all the loved ones. Eat and enjoy with one and all.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Crispy Potato Wedges Recipe | How To Make Fried Potato Wedges
- Ghugni Recipe | How To Make Street-Style Ghugni At Home
- Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Chicken Jalfrezi
- Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Potato Board Beans Stir Fry
- Kolkata-Style Chicken Manchurian (Gravy) Recipe
- Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Green Onion Stir Fry