Roaming through the gallies of Kolkata and not trying the Egg Roll, is verily not done! It is on the list of most favorite snacks for all the Bengalis out there.
You will find cabins, cafes, restaurants, as well as roadside stalls selling this item. All are incredibly delicious and heart-filling. This street food consists of the most basic and plain ingredients but holds an excellent palate.
The crispy yet chewy paratha and the soft egg together with the fresh slices of onions and cucumber make it heavenly. The edge comes from the chilis and the sauces.
If you are looking for a superb snack for the cold evenings, give this a try at home. Also, it will taste no less than a restaurant-style roll.
Let’s see how to make Kolkata Street Style egg rolls at home.
Kolkata Egg Roll Recipe (Street Food Style)
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
For the Wrap
- 1½ cup All-purpose Flour or Maida
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Oil or adjust accordingly
For the Filling
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Onions small to medium
- 4-5 Green Chilis
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Lime large
- Tomato Ketchup
- Kasundi if available
- Black salt to taste
- Chaat Masala
- Vegetable oil
Prepare the Dough
- First, take a large mixing bowl and add all-purpose flour or maida.
- Next, add salt to taste and oil.
- Now, mix all the ingredients nicely until well combined.
- After this, start to add water in small quantities and knead.
- Keep on kneading and adding water until the flour comes together nicely.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes or until soft and smooth.
- Cover it and keep it aside. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
Prepare the Veggies for the filling
- While the dough is resting, peel the onion and cucumber.
- Cut into halves and then slice the onions. Separate all the rings.
- Slice the cucumber and then chop them into thin strips.
- Finely chop the green chilis and keep all these aside.
Prepare the paratha
- After the dough has rested, take out small portions of dough and make them into small balls.
- Take a rolling board and a rolling pin.
- Spread some flour on the board and start to roll the dough ball. Add flour if the dough sticks to the board.
- Roll the dough into a nice circular shape like a paratha.
- Next, make an incision radius-wise and then start to roll from there.
- A cone will be formed. Press it down and then roll again into a paratha.
Make the paratha
- Take a tawa and add oil.
- While the oil is getting heated, break an egg in a bowl and whisk it with some salt.
- When the oil is hot, pour the whisked egg. Keep the flame on medium.
- Now gently place the rolled dough on the egg. Do this immediately after pouring the egg so that it sticks well to the paratha.
- Let the egg fry properly before flipping onto the other side.
- Next, turn the paratha on the other side. Let it get fried until golden and cooked. Make sure not to over-fry otherwise it will start to break while folding.
Prepare the egg roll
- When it is done, transfer it onto a plate and put the onion, cucumber, and green chilis.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze some on the filling. Do not put too much.
- Next, add tomato ketchup and kasundi.
- On this sprinkle some chaat masala and black salt.
- After this, fold one end a little and then start to roll the paratha. One end is folded so that nothing falls out of the egg roll.
- Now, wrap half of the egg roll with butter paper or any paper available.
- Repeat this with all the dough balls and make the egg rolls in the same way.
And there you go! The Egg Roll is ready to be eaten. Serve it hot and gobble it immediately, otherwise, it will get soggy.
Egg Roll is a delicious evening snack to relish with friends and family. The dish is hassle-free and takes less time to make. Do share it with your people or else they will miss out on something utterly scrumptious.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Crispy Potato Wedges Recipe | How To Make Fried Potato Wedges
- Ghugni Recipe | How To Make Street-Style Ghugni At Home
- Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Chicken Jalfrezi
- Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Potato Board Beans Stir Fry
- Kolkata-Style Chicken Manchurian (Gravy) Recipe
- Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Green Onion Stir Fry