Street food lovers have an immense appetite for momos, biriyani, and rolls.
Egg rolls are one of the most famous street foods in Kolkata, West Bengal. It is available at affordable prices on any street stall.
This dish is also found in cafes and restaurants.
The iconic food gives a happy feeling with the bites of the crispy parathas combine with the tasty veggies and egg.
Here you will get to know this egg roll recipe.
Let’s see how to make Kolkata Street Style egg rolls at home.
Kolkata Egg Roll Recipe (Street Food Style)
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
For the wrap
- 250 g all-purpose flour maida
- 10-12 g Refined oil/ dalda
- Warm water
For the filling
- 3 eggs
- Onions Chopped
- Green chilies Chopped
- 1 Gandharaj lime/normal lime
- 2 tbsp chat masala
- 1-2 tbsp rock salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper powder
- 1 cucumber chopped
- carrot optional
- Tomato ketchup
- Red chili sauce
- green chili sauce optional
- Vegetable oil
Pepare the outer wrap or paratha
- To make the wrap add all-purpose flour to a bowl.
- Then add salt, sugar accordingly, and refined oil or dalda to the flour.
- Mix all the ingredients well until the oil is uniformly dispersed over the flour.
- Rub the flour properly between the fingers until the flour gives a flaky texture.
- Now add warm water to the mixture and knead the dough for about 7-10 minutes until it turns soft and smooth.
- Add a little bit of refined oil for coating the dough.
- Now cover the bowl and allow it to rest for at least 30 minutes.
Prepare the filling
- Now chop all the veggies that you would like to include as a filling in the egg roll. I prefer to add finely sliced onions, cucumber, and green chilies.
- Chop all these veggies and pickle those with lime.
- You can use “Gandharaj lime” for pickling. If you do not have Gandharaj lime you can use normal lime also.
- If you want, you can include other veggies like carrot and capsicum too.
Fry the outer wrap or paratha
- Now take out the dough and roll it in the shape of paratha with flour and oil.
- On the other side, beat the eggs with salt, a pinch of red chili powder, and black pepper, and keep it aside.
- Now heat 4 tbsp of oil in a nonstick frying pan.
- Place the paratha on it and fry it until both sides turn golden brown.
- Try to make the Paratha more crispy and uniformly crusted by rotating and flipping the paratha continuously.
- Make sure that the sides of parathas are well crispy and fried too.
- Now spread the beaten egg over it.
- Then again turn the paratha upside down to fry the side with the egg.
- After the egg is fried and settles well, transfer the paratha to a dish with the egg facing upwards.
Prepare the egg roll
- Now add a row of the pickled veggies in the center of the paratha.
- Sprinkle the chat masala over it and also add rock salt and black pepper.
- If you want you can also add some extra stuff like tomato ketchup and chili sauce to make it more spicy and tangy.
- Add some lime juice over it.
- Now roll the paratha and make sure all the fillings are enclosed within the paratha.
- Now wrap the paratha around the ⅔ rd portion of the roll and tuck the excess part at the bottom.
- Kolkata style egg roll is now ready.
The Calcutta-style egg roll is really an easy-to-make delicious recipe.
Not too many ingredients are used in it. So check out the recipe for Egg roll and prepare it in your home and enjoy it!
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Chicken Chowmin Recipe | How to make Chicken Chow at home
- Ilish Macher Tel Jhol Recipe | How to make Hilsa Light Gravy easily
- Butter Garlic Naan Recipe | Soft Butter Naan (without tandoor)
- Taler Bora Recipe | How to make Sugar Palm Fritters at home
- Muri Ghonto Recipe | How to make Bengali Style Muri Ghonto
- Kolkata Style Chicken Biryani Recipe | How to cook biriyani