Cholar Dal is a flavorsome and healthy food. It is a very nutritious, protein-rich pulse to include in your diet.
Also known as Bengal Gram dal and is a popular recipe among Bengalis.
It is cooked in different flavors, usually a bit salty, but adding a little sweetness to a Bengal gram recipe can result in a whole different type of taste.
Let us see how to make Bengali-style Cholar dal easily at home…
Cholar Dal Recipe (Bengali Style Chana Dal)
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Mixer Grinder
- 250 g Bengal gram
- 50 g Mustard oil
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- grated coconut
- coconut cut into small pieces
- 6 green chillies
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 dried chillies
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 small cardamoms
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- ½ tsp Whole cumin
- Roasted spices cumin, small cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, dry chili grinded
- 1 tsp Ghee
Boil gram seeds
- Soak Bengal gram in water for 2 hours.
- After that wash the dal well.
- Boil dal, and add a little ginger, two green chillies, one bay leaf, little salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker for 4 whistles.
- Once cooked, let it cool.
Prepare the speices
- Now heat oil in a pan and add the grated coconut.
- Fry these well until golden brown.
- Now add 2 dry chillies, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida, 3 small cardamoms, cinnamon and cloves to the oil.
- When the oil releases aroma, add ginger and green chilli paste and stir all these for 5 seconds.
Prepare Cholar Dal
- Now add the pulses or dal.
- Add Salt to taste, turmeric, roasted coconut flakes, 2 whole green chillies and a little sugar.
- Remember that Bengal gram prepared in Bengali style is a bit sweeter.
- Boil it for 5 to 10 minutes, spread ghee from the top and roasted and grinded spices and turn off the gas.
- Bengali style cholar dal is prepared.
Served it hot with Luchi and paratha.
It tastes very good even if it is kept refrigerated and eaten later.
This authentic traditional Bengali style Cholar dal is also served on special occasions by Bengalis.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- 6 Delicious Sandwich Recipes to Make for Breakfast or Snack
- Chicken Chowmin Recipe | How to make Chicken Chow at home
- Ilish Macher Tel Jhol Recipe | How to make Hilsa Light Gravy easily
- Butter Garlic Naan Recipe | Soft Butter Naan (without tandoor)
- Taler Bora Recipe | How to make Sugar Palm Fritters at home
- Muri Ghonto Recipe | How to make Bengali Style Muri Ghonto