Puri, aloo dum (potato dum masala), and Jilapi is a perfect breakfast combo. During winters, aloo dum is enjoyed with peas kachori, and parathas.
Aloo Dum is prepared with rich gravy of tomato, curd, and cashew nuts. Sometimes peas are added to make aloo dum look more mouth-watering.
In this recipe, you will get to know how to prepare vegetarian Aloo dum masala without the addition of onion and garlic.
This vegetarian potato dum recipe will have an authentic taste too.
Let’s see how to prepare this simple Pure veg Dum Aloo recipe easily at home…
Veg Alur Dom Recipe (Dum Aloo) Bengali Style
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Mixer Grinder
- 1 Pressure Cooker
- 500 g potatoes cut into 2 halves
- 3 tbsp Ginger and cumin paste
- Pinch of Hing asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Shahi garam masala powder
- ½ cup Tomato paste
- ½ cup Curd
- 3-4 green chilies Slit
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 7-8 Cashew nuts ground into fine paste
- ½ tbsp Dry Kasoori methi leaves
- 1 tbsp Coriander seed paste
- To make aloo dum, boil the potatoes well and then marinate the potatoes with salt, turmeric, and a little red chili powder.
- Then heat some oil in a pan and fry the potatoes until golden brown.
- Add a pinch of Hing.
- Next, add ginger, cumin, and a little coriander paste as soon as the aroma comes out.
- Then add a little bit of garam masala powder, curd, tomato paste, and slit green chili.
- Then add cashew nut paste.
- Mix all these ingredients with the potatoes well.
- Cook on a high flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Add a little water according to the gravy you would like to have.
- Cover the lid of the pan for 15 minutes and allow the potatoes to cook well.
- Now open the lid and add dried roasted Kasuri methi leaves.
- Sprinkle shahi Garam Masala and add peas to the aloo dum.
- Stir everything well once.
- Transfer it into a serving bowl and add a little ghee on top.
- Serve it hot with puris or kachoris.
Aloo dum is everyone’s favorite food.
This simple to make traditional dish can be relished by both vegetarians and non vegetarians.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Chicken Chowmin Recipe | How to make Chicken Chow at home
- Ilish Macher Tel Jhol Recipe | How to make Hilsa Light Gravy easily
- Butter Garlic Naan Recipe | Soft Butter Naan (without tandoor)
- Taler Bora Recipe | How to make Sugar Palm Fritters at home
- Muri Ghonto Recipe | How to make Bengali Style Muri Ghonto
- Kolkata Style Chicken Biryani Recipe | How to cook biriyani