On a winter afternoon, hot Sheem Aloo Bhaja and Bhaat is a match made in heaven. Sheem or Broad beans can be used in distinctive types of Bengali dishes, but this one is an exception.
With the least number of spices, it is a stir-fry preparation. This is an excellent side dish and also a healthy one that you can include in your diet.
The flavor profile is amazing as well.
Different parts of India have various types of recipes that are made with Broad beans. However, in this article, we will see an easy preparation of Sheem that too in authentic Bengali style.
Let’s go through the list of ingredients and how to make it.
Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe (Potato Board-Beans Stir Fry)
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Kadhai
- 6-8 Sheem or Broad Beans; medium
- 2 Potatoes medium to large
- 3 Green Chilis or according to heat tolerance
- 2 Garlic cloves optional
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp coriander leaves chopped
- Mustard oil
Prepare the Potatoes
- First, wash the potatoes.
- Next, peel the potatoes and cut them once from the middle, and then cut them like French fries. The pieces will be a bit thinner than French fries.
- Put in water and wash them again to get rid of the excess starch.
Prepare the Sheem (Broad Beans)
- Wash the Sheem/broad beans well.
- Now, chop the ends.
- Then cut them into 1-inch pieces or maybe smaller than that.
Heat some oil
- Now, take a kadhai or a skillet and add some mustard oil.
- Let the oil heat until it starts to smoke. Keep the flame on low.
- Add in the garlic and stir until it starts to turn golden brown. (you can skip this step if you are not using garlic).
Fry the potatoes
- Next, add the potatoes. Give it a good stir and cover it for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime slit the green chilis from the middle.
- Add the green chilis to the kadhai and stir. Cover again.
- After around 4-5 minutes remove the lid and add salt. Combine everything nicely.
- Check-in between to see if the potatoes are half-cooked.
Add the Sheem
- Next, add the broad beans/Sheem into the kadhai.
- Stir all the components consistently. Let them cook for a few minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder and red cumin powder.
- Stir again.
- Combine from all the sides to coat the veggies with the spices.
- Give a taste test and also check if the veggies are tender and cooked to perfection.
- If you are satisfied, then add the chopped coriander and turn off the flame.
- Stir everything well and transfer it onto a plate.
That it is! Your Sheem Aloo Bhaja is ready to be served. Present it with steamed rice, daal, and fragrant lime.
This combination works too well and just one bite will make your taste buds dance. You can have it for lunch or dinner and relish a hearty meal. Enjoy!
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Crispy Potato Wedges Recipe | How To Make Fried Potato Wedges
- Ghugni Recipe | How To Make Street-Style Ghugni At Home
- Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Chicken Jalfrezi
- Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Potato Board Beans Stir Fry
- Kolkata-Style Chicken Manchurian (Gravy) Recipe
- Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Green Onion Stir Fry