Potoler Dorma or Dolma Potol is a very tasty dish made with a pointed gourd (Potol), split Bengal gram dal, coconut, peanuts, and raisins.
This Potol is filled with a delicious and spicy Bengal gram paste (a major ingredient) and then cooked in spicy gravy.
Potol stuffing can be of many kinds, sometimes made with gram dal, and cheese or sometimes with Bhetki and shrimp.
However, I have prepared the whole recipe here using a vegetarian approach (without onion or garlic) i.e. by using gram pulses.
So let’s see how to make Potol-er Dorma easily at home.
Potoler Dorma Recipe Bengali Style
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Mixer Grinder
- 500 g Pointed Gourd 7-8 Potols
- 20 g mustard oil
- 100 g Bengal gram pulses Bengal gram
- 6 g coconut
- 25 g mustard oil
- 10 g raisins
- 8 g peanuts
- 1/4 tsp whole cumin
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 6 g ginger paste
- 15 g grated coconut
- 4 g salt
- 14 g sugar
- 25 g mustard oil
- 2 pcs dried red chillies
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 2 pcs cardamom
- 1 pcs cinnamon
- 2 pcs cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4-5 potatoes
- 10 g cumin powder
- 3 g coriander powder
- 2 g turmeric powder
- 2 g red chilli powder
- 2 g Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 15 g almonds soaked
- 5 g cashew nuts soaked
- 25 g yogurt
- 200 ml hot water
- 1/2 tsp shahi garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- First, soak the bengal gram pulses for 2 hours. Scrape the gritty outer layer of the gourd using a spoon or knife.
- Cut off the edges about 2 cm from the tip of the potol.
- Keep these edges carefully, as it will be used later.
- Using the handle of a spoon, take out the inner flesh and seeds inside the potol.
- Season the Potol (pointed gourd) well with 4 grams of salt.
Fry the Potol
- Heat mustard oil in a pan.
- Fry potol on high flame, until it turns golden brown.
- Then put the fried potols aside.
- Fry the chopped parts of the potol and when it turns golden, and set it aside.
Grind the Gram Dal
- Put the soaked gram dal in the grinder.
- To keep the coarse texture, you have to grind it for a span of a few seconds.
Fry the coconuts and Bengal gram
- Now heat some mustard oil in a pan.
- Fry the finely sliced coconuts till it turns golden. Set it aside.
- Then add the peanuts. Fry until it's golden. Set it aside.
- Now add whole cumin seeds and asafoetida in the same oil.
- Wait until these ingredients splutter and release a strong aroma.
- Add ginger paste and raw Bengal gram paste. Fry on medium heat for 20 -30 seconds.
- Add the grated coconut. Fry until it turns golden.
Prepare the stuffing
- Stir everything together and mix well.
- Add salt and sugar accordingly.
- Then add chopped raisins, fried coconut and peanuts.
- Then add gram dal paste.
- Stir well to remove the raw odor.
- Continue scraping through the bottom of the pan with a fork until the mixture dries up.
- Spread the gram flour mixture on a plate to cool.
Fill the stuffing
- Now, fill the stuffing of the potol with this prepared gram flour mixture in ample quantities.
- When the stuffing is done, cover the Potol with a small fried piece of Potol cap(chopped off Potol edges) with a wooden toothpick.
Prepare the Gravy
- Soak almonds and walnuts in warm water for 15 minutes. Drain and grind into a smooth paste.
- Peel 2-3 potatoes, and cut each of them into 4 pieces.
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan.
- Add potatoes, cover them, and fry for 5 minutes on medium heat. Stir occasionally. Season it with turmeric and salt. When golden, set it aside.
- In the same oil, add whole dry red chillies, bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and whole cumin and allow it to splutter.
- In a small bowl, prepare the spice paste.
- To make the spice paste, take cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red Chilli powder, and Kashmiri red chili powder (ingredients to be taken according to the quantities given)
- Stir these with hot water.
- Put all these spices in a pan on a high flame.
- Stir in all the spices, add a little water if the spices dry up.
- Now Add ginger paste.
- Stir everything well until the added masala gives a smooth texture.
- After the oil is released add salt and sugar to taste.
- Now add the curd, cashew nuts, and almond paste.
- Stir everything well.
- Once the spices are well cooked and the raw odor is gone, add a little hot water to make the gravy.
Prepare Potoler Dorma
- After the gravy starts to boil, add stuffed patal and potatoes.
- Cover and cook over low heat until potatoes and potols are cooked thoroughly.
- After 15-20 minutes, add ghee and Shahi garam masala to make it more flavourful.
- Delicious Potol Dorma is prepared!
You can eat this delicious vegetarian dish with Basanti pulao, or paratha.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Beguni Recipe | How To Make Bengali Style Batter Fried Brinjal
- Egg Chowmein Recipe | How To Make Kolkata-Style Egg Chow
- Chicken Lollipop Recipe | How To Make Restaurant Style Drums of Heaven
- Blueberry Cheesecake Recipe – How To Make Easily At Home
- Khichuri Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Khichdi At Home
- Chicken Popcorn Recipe | How To Make Popcorn Chicken At Home