The name Muri Ghanto probably comes from the word ‘Muro’ meaning fish head, and when it is mixed with rice and cooked by kneading leads to the word Ghanta or Ghanto.
The taste of a fish head can’t be realized if you are not aware of the Bengali delicacy of Muri Ghanto.
The authentic recipe is one of the signature dishes that can be prepared with aromatic spices.
Here you are going to know how to prepare the delicious Muri Ghonto at home easily.
Let’s see the ingredients needed and the process…
Muri Ghonto Recipe (Bengali Style)
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 pc Katla Fish head large size
- 300 grams Govindbhog rice
- 1 large potato cut into large pieces
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 Onion medium
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 cardamoms small
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3-4 cloves
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 2 dry chilies
- 3-4 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp white cumin
- 9-10 White peppers
- 4 tsp Ghee
- 50 grams Mustard oil
- turmeric powder
- First, chop the fish head from the fish and wash it well and add a little salt and turmeric to it.
- Grind onion, ginger, and garlic into a fine taste.
- Add the fine paste to the fish head.
- Wash the gobindobhog rice properly and drain the water and allow the rice to dry properly.
- Now place the Kadai on low heat and add 2 teaspoons of oil and cook (shallow fry) the rice on the heat for 5 minutes.
- Then put the rest of the oil in the wok, when it is hot, add the fish heads and fry it on medium heat.
- Add dry chilies, bay leaves, small cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, cumin seeds, and peppercorns to the same oil and keep stirring until the oil releases aroma.
- Lightly fry it with little salt and turmeric.
- Mix ginger, onion & garlic paste, and cumin powder, pepper powder, salt, and turmeric to taste and cook on a high flame until the mixture releases oil.
- When the masalas start to release oil add 1/2 cup of water to the fried Govindbhog rice.
- Mix the rice and spices well.
- Then add 3 cups of water and break the fried Muro (fish head) a little and mix it.
- Cover the gas and let the potatoes and rice boil.
- When it is boiled, open the lid and add 3 spoons of sugar, and keep stirring.
- When the sugar is evenly mixed, spread ghee and garam masala powder and mix it well with the rice.
- Turn off the gas and leave it for 2 minutes.
- The delicious recipe of muri ghanto is ready.
We often cook fish head with dal or cabbage.
Muri Ghanto with rice is a simple and delicious recipe made with only a handful of ingredients, which everyone young and old, will love to savor.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Chicken Chowmin Recipe | How to make Chicken Chow at home
- Ilish Macher Tel Jhol Recipe | How to make Hilsa Light Gravy easily
- Butter Garlic Naan Recipe | Soft Butter Naan (without tandoor)
- Taler Bora Recipe | How to make Sugar Palm Fritters at home
- Muri Ghonto Recipe | How to make Bengali Style Muri Ghonto
- Kolkata Style Chicken Biryani Recipe | How to cook biriyani