The name Muri Ghanto probably comes from the word ‘Muro’ meaning fish head, and when it is mixed with rice and cooked by kneading leads to the word Ghanta or Ghanto.
The taste of a fish head can’t be realized if you are not aware of the Bengali delicacy of Muri Ghanto.
The authentic recipe is one of the signature dishes that can be prepared with aromatic spices. Here you are going to learn how to prepare the delicious Muri Ghonto at home easily.
Let’s see the ingredients needed and the process.
Muri Ghonto Recipe (Bengali Style)
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Katla Fish head medium to large
- ½ cup Govindbhog rice
- 2 Potatoes medium
- 1 Tomato medium
- 1 Onion medium
- 4 cloves Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Dried Red Chili paste
- 4 Green Chili paste
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1½ tsp Cumin powder
- Mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Ghee
Marinate the fish
- First, cut the fish head into 5-6 pieces and marinate them with some salt and turmeric powder.
- Keep them aside for around 10 minutes.
Prepare the veggies
- Next, in a blender, put the dried red chilis, ginger, garlic, and green chilis. Make them into a fine paste and set aside.
- Now, wash and chop the tomatoes and onion finely. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 2 inch cubes.
Prepare the rice
- Wash the Gobindobhog rice properly and drain the excess water. Allow the rice to dry properly by spreading it on a kitchen tissue-covered plate under air.
- Next, take a kadhai and heat it on medium flame. Add in some oil and let it heat until it smokes.
- In the heated oil, put in the dried Gobindo bhog rice and stir it continuously until it becomes glassy. This should take around 5-6 minutes on medium flame.
Fry the fish heads
- Then, take another frying pan and add some oil to it. When the oil is heated, add the marinated fish heads.
- Fry the fish head pieces really well. Smash the head a bit so that they cook well and all the flavors are released.
Fry the potatoes
- In the kadhai heat some oil and fry the cubed potatoes until golden brown. Keep them aside.
- Add some more oil if needed in the kadhai. Then add bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, and cumin seeds. Keep stirring until the aromatics start to release fragrance.
Add the ginger garlic paste
- Next, add in the ginger garlic and chili paste in the spices and stir well.
- When the oil starts to separate, add in the onions and tomatoes. Stir everything nicely and cook them until the tomatoes and onions soften.
- To this, add the turmeric powder, and cumin powder. Mix all the ingredients and smash the tomatoes with the back of the spoon.
Add the potatoes
- Fry everything really well until the raw smell goes away and the color of the mix changes to brown. To this add in the fried potatoes.
Add the rice
- Next, add the already fried rice into the masala, combine them nicely and then add around 1 cup of water in it.
- Add salt to taste, cover the kadhai with a lid, and let the rice cook. After around 7 minutes check the rice and with that add in the fried fish head.
- Cook everything until the rice is cooked to perfection. Also, do not make the consistency too watery.
- Take a taste and check if all the spices are up to the mark. Then check if all the ingredients are cooked well or not.
- When you are satisfied, stir them once and spread ghee and garam masala powder. Incorporate everything well.
- Turn off the gas, cover with a lid and leave it for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the dish onto a plate or a bowl.
The delicious recipe of muri ghanto is ready.
Muri Ghanto with rice is a simple and delicious recipe made with only a handful of ingredients, which everyone young and old, will love to savor.
You can also cook fish head with dal or cabbage.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Crispy Potato Wedges Recipe | How To Make Fried Potato Wedges
- Ghugni Recipe | How To Make Street-Style Ghugni At Home
- Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Chicken Jalfrezi
- Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Potato Board Beans Stir Fry
- Kolkata-Style Chicken Manchurian (Gravy) Recipe
- Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Green Onion Stir Fry