If you are looking to try something totally new and different, then the Loita Macher Jhuri is for you. This food item is a favorite in the state of Bengal. The fish is also known as Bombay duck or Bombil.
In Bengali, we call it Loita Mach or Lotey Mach. This one is also a favorite of my family. It is made whenever it is available in the market. The exotic flavor and texture of the fresh loita fish make it a delicious delicacy that is relished by many.
The fish can be made into different dishes but the preparation we will discuss here will be dry and tight. Do not hesitate if the fish is new to you. It will be an excellent thing to try and through the dish, you will know the versatility of the fish, its distinct taste and texture.
So, without waiting for long, get to your kitchen and start with the recipe.
Loitta Macher Jhuri Recipe (Bengali Style)
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Kadhai
- 500 g Loita fish
- 3 Onion large
- 2 Tomatoes large
- 8-10 Cloves of Garlic
- 4 inch Ginger
- 1 cup chopped Coriander
- 2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 Dried Red chilis
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 tsp Red Chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- 4-5 Green Chilis slit from the middle
- 1 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 ½ tsp Lime juice
- Mustard oil
Prepare the fish
- First, clean and wash the fish really well.
- Next, cut each fish into two to three pieces.
Fry the fish
- Now, take a frying pan and add some oil to it and heat until it smokes lightly.
- Put in the pieces of fish and let it fry.
- Let the fish release all its water. Add some salt and stir once again.
- Leave the fish on low to medium flame for around 5-7 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now, while the fish is cooking slowly, prepare a paste.
Prepare the paste
- For the paste, in a blender put in the chopped tomato, chopped onions, ginger, and cloves of garlic.
- Blend them all together to a smooth paste.
Keep the fish aside
- Next, when the fish has released most of its water, drain out the excess water.
- Next, keep the fish aside.
Add the ingredients
- Now, take a kadhai and add some mustard/vegetable oil. Let it smoke a bit and then put in a bay leaf and dried red chilis (break the chilis from the middle).
- When they start to give out the fragrance, add in the blended mix.
- Stir all the ingredients continuously for around 5 minutes.
- After that, add in the red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt to taste, and sugar to taste.
- Combine all of them and stir them continuously.
Add the Loitta Fish
- When the water starts to dry add in the loitta fish.
- Mix all the ingredients and masala with the fish. Keep the flame low and go on stirring.
- Let the water dry a bit and then stir again.
- Put in the lime juice and combine them nicely.
- Again, keep on cooking the fish and the masala mix.
- When you feel like the mixture is almost dry and tight, add in the chopped coriander, slit green chilis, and pepper.
- Cook them together for 3 minutes more on low flame.
- By now the mixture will be dry ultimately. Check the taste and if you feel everything is okay, then turn off the flame and keep the dish in the kadhai for a few minutes.
- Now, take the Loita Macher Jhuri out of the kadhai and transfer it into a bowl.
Your dish is now ready to be served. Serve it with steamed rice and enjoy.
Make it, try out the flavors of the new item, and share it with all the others in your family. The spicy, tangy, savory flavor is very addictive. Happy cooking!
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Crispy Potato Wedges Recipe | How To Make Fried Potato Wedges
- Ghugni Recipe | How To Make Street-Style Ghugni At Home
- Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Chicken Jalfrezi
- Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Potato Board Beans Stir Fry
- Kolkata-Style Chicken Manchurian (Gravy) Recipe
- Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Green Onion Stir Fry