We have all eaten various recipes with poppy seeds. You must have definitely tasted delicious recipes like Postor bora, potato with poppy seeds (Alu Posto), shrimp/Hilsa with poppy seed paste, etc.
But Lau Posto (bottle gourd with poppy seeds) is one of the delicious Bengali recipes that I will talk about in this recipe.
This recipe is tasty to eat and the recipe is very necessary for hot weather as it has endless qualities.
Now let’s see how you can make delicious Lau Posto at home.
Lau Posto Recipe (Bottle Gourd with Poppy Seed)
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Mixer Grinder
- 1 Bottle Gourd/ Lau medium
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 2½-3 tbsp Poppy seeds/Posto
- 4 Green Chilies or according to heat tolerance
- 1-2 Dry Red Chilis
- Salt to taste
Prepare the Bottle Gourd
- First, wash the lau well and then cut off the top and bottom of the bottle gourd.
- Next, peel the lau and cut it from the middle. wash it again with water and the start chopping.
- Chop them into small cubes or you can make 2 inches long rectangular pieces.
Prepare the poppy seeds
- Now, soak the poppy seeds in water for at least 15 minutes.
- After that, put the poppy seeds into the mixer along with some water. Add 2 green chilies, salt to taste, and one dried red chili.
- Blend all the ingredients well. You might keep them a bit course for some texture. use sil batta if you have, as that will elevate the taste more.
Heat some oil
- Next, take a Kadhai or pan and heat some mustard oil. Let the oil smoke a bit.
- Keep the flame on medium and after that, add 1 dried red chili in tempering hot oil, and stir for a few seconds, until it sputters and releases fragrance.
Add the bottle gourd
- Then add the chopped bottle gourd/lau, season it with salt, and let the bottle gourd cook on a medium flame.
- Stir it once and cover the kadhai or pan with a lid. Cook until the bottle gourd is almost soft and mushy. Do not over cook the lau.
Add the Posto paste
- To this, add the poppy seed or posto paste. Add two tablespoons of water and conbine everything well.
- Then increase the heat and cook the poppy seeds and bottle gourd nicely for a few minutes.
- At this point, put in two slit green chilis into the kadhai.
- When everything starts to come together and tightens a bit, take the lau posto out of the flame and transfer it into a bowl.
- Serve it hot with some steamed rice and dal er bora.
Eat the Bottle Gourd with poppy seeds on a hot afternoon to calm yourself down.
Savor the delicious Lau Posto with aam (mango) dal, and rice to feel relaxed and comfortable as it’s a very light meal.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Crispy Potato Wedges Recipe | How To Make Fried Potato Wedges
- Ghugni Recipe | How To Make Street-Style Ghugni At Home
- Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Chicken Jalfrezi
- Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Potato Board Beans Stir Fry
- Kolkata-Style Chicken Manchurian (Gravy) Recipe
- Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Green Onion Stir Fry