Jhinge-Aloo Posto is yet another classic Bengali dish loved by almost all Bengalis. This traditional food is prevalent in the state of West Bengal and if you have visited any Bengali restaurant, be sure to find it in the menu.
The authentic item is eaten mostly during the summers when the Jhinge (ridge gourd) is available in plenty. This simple recipe is very filling yet light and savory. The flavours combine really well and with just that you will be able to finish an entire plate of steamed rice.
Most Bengalis have grown up eating Jhinge Posto and the recipe is one of the simplest ones to make. Let us see how to make this amazing sumptuous dish with just a few ingredients.
Jhinge Posto Recipe (Bengali Style)
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Mixer Grinder
- 4 Ridge Gourd/Jhinge large
- 2 Potatoes large
- 2-2½ tbsp Poppy seeds/Posto
- ¼ tsp kaalo jeera/kalonji/Nigella seeds
- 3 Green Chillis
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¾ tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil
Prepare the ingredients
- First, wash and peel the ridge gourds (Jhinge) and potatoes. Then cut them into wedges and keep them aside.
- Next, wash the potatoes again under running water to remove the excess starch.
- Now, soak the poppy seeds in normal water/warm water for about an hour. Then, strain the excess water and put the seeds into a mixer.
- Blend the poppy seeds until a smooth paste is formed. You might keep it a bit coarse for a nutty texture.
Cook the Jhinge (Ridge Guard)
- When all the preparations are done, take a kadhai or any pan and put some mustard oil.
- Wait until the oil smokes a little and into that add kalo jeere or black cumin seeds.
- Stir it for around 20-30 seconds or until the seeds crackle.
- To this, put in the ridge guard/jhinge. Keep the flame to medium.
- Next, add the potatoes and green chilis. Stir everything for around 4-6 minutes.
- Cook by covering them with a lid for 5 more minutes and occasionally give them a stir.
- Add salt to taste and turmeric powder. Mix everything together and cook it covered in low heat.
Add the poppy seed paste
- Now, check if the potatoes and ridge guard are softened, and then add in the poppy seed paste and combine everything well.
- Stir it until the oil separates.
- Put in the cumin and coriander powder and mix it nicely.
- Cover the kadhai once more for 2-3 minutes. Make sure to keep the heat low.
- Add some sugar and combine with the veggies.
Prepare Jhinge Aloo Posto
- Now stir for time continuously and check if the veggies are cooked.
- Bring the entire dish together and garnish it with some mustard oil.
- Put the kadhai out of the flame. Give one more mix before transferring it into a bowl.
Your delicious Jhinge-Aloo Posto is ready to be served. Pair it with steamed rice, dal, and Begun Bhaja (fried bringal) to take in the joy of the dish. This comfort meal will make you fall in love with it.
Eat it anytime either at lunch or dinner, sitting together with all the loved ones. Tay the recipe out and be sure not to be disappointed. Enjoy!
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Koraishutir Kochuri Recipe | How To Make Motor Sutir (Peas) Kachori
- Soyabean Kofta Curry Recipe (Bengali-Style) – How To Make At Home
- Sada Aloor Tarkari Recipe | How To Make Bengali Light Potato Curry
- Spring Roll Recipe | How To Make Crispy Spring Roll Easily
- Paneer Kabab Recipe | How To Make Paneer Tikka At Home
- Methi Saag Bora Recipe | How To Make Fenugreek Leaves Pakoda