The name Hariyali translates to ‘green’ and this justifies the color of the dish. The beautiful green color is very appealing and so is the taste.
Among all the chicken dishes from Punjab, this is another that people love. The curry is packed with different herbs and spices along with the chunky tender chicken.
If you ever have come across roadside Dhabas, you will get the dish there. The taste is simply unmatchable. There will always be an urge to eat more due to the refreshing flavor profile.
To eat this, no need to travel the extra length. Prepare the recipe at home and gobble it for lunch or dinner. Know that you will be deeply in love with it.
Let us look through the ingredient list and the procedure to create it.
Hariyali Chicken Recipe (Green Chicken Curry)
- 500-700 Chicken curry cut
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Ginger paste
- 2 Onion medium
- ½ cup Sour Curd or Yogurt
- 4 tbsp Fresh Cream
- 1 cup Coriander leaves with the stalk
- ½ cup Mint or Pudina leaves
- 1 cup Spinach leaves
- 4 Green Chilis or according to heat tolerance
- 6-8 Black Peppercorns
- 2-3 Green Cardamom
- 6-8 Cashew nuts optional
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil
Make the Green paste
- Wash the spinach leaves, coriander leaves (along with the stalk), and the mint leaves.
- Take a cooking pot and boil 2 cups of water.
- After the water is boiled turn off the flame and to this, put the spinach leaves.
- Keep it for an exact minute to blanch them.
- After 1 minute remove it from the hot water and rinse with cold water.
- Next, take a blender and add the blanched spinach, coriander leaves, mint leaves, onion, green Cardamoms, and green chilis.
- Blend them into a fine and smooth paste. Keep them aside.
Make the White paste
- Take a blender and add the cashew nuts, sour curd, and 3 tbsp fresh cream.
- Blend them into a fine and creamy paste. Make sure that there are no lumps.
- Keep them aside.
Prepare the gravy
- Take a cooking pot or a kadhai and add oil.
- Let the oil heat until it smokes a little.
- To the oil, add the cumin seeds.
- Let them crackle and then add the ginger and garlic paste.
- Stir and fry them until golden brown or the raw smell is gone.
- Next, add the coriander powder and garam masala.
Add the chicken
- Fry them for a minute and then add the pieces of chicken.
- Combine the chicken with the masala and fry them until white.
Add the green paste
- Now, add the green paste. Keep the flame on medium.
- Stir well and combine everything.
- Let them cook for five minutes or until the raw smell is gone.
- After this, cover the kadhai for 3-4 minutes and let them cook. Stir occasionally.
- When the green masala is cooked, reduce the flame to low.
Add the white paste
- Add the white paste and keep on stirring. This will prevent the curd from splitting.
- Continue to stir until the curd mix is cooked.
- Crush the black peppercorns and add them to the kadhai or cooking pot.
- Let them cook for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, boil some water.
- Add this water to the kadhai.
- Combine everything nicely and cover the kadhai.
- Let them cook until the chicken is tender and cooked to perfection. Stir occasionally.
- Add salt to taste.
- Take a taste test and add if anything is needed.
- Check the consistency of the gravy.
- Transfer it into a bowl if the gravy has reduced to a desired consistency. We need a semi-thick and creamy consistency.
- Garnish the Hariyali Chicken with a tbsp of fresh cream.
Voila! The moreish Hariyali Chicken is ready to be relished.
You can easily prepare it for your lunch or dinner or even during a special day. It is packed with flavors and not only the taste but the look itself will be enough to impress your people.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Koraishutir Kochuri Recipe | How To Make Motor Sutir (Peas) Kachori
- Soyabean Kofta Curry Recipe (Bengali-Style) – How To Make At Home
- Sada Aloor Tarkari Recipe | How To Make Bengali Light Potato Curry
- Spring Roll Recipe | How To Make Crispy Spring Roll Easily
- Paneer Kabab Recipe | How To Make Paneer Tikka At Home
- Methi Saag Bora Recipe | How To Make Fenugreek Leaves Pakoda