Ghatshila is a small town in Jharkhand, known for its scenic beauty, cultural heritage, and religious significance.
The place’s name comes from two words: Ghat, which means river, bank, and Shila, which means rocky land. So the name means “the rocky landing of the river.” It is situated on the bank of the Subarnarekha River, which originates in Pisca and flows through a forested area.
Ghatshila has many attractions for tourists, such as waterfalls, hills, temples, and historical sites. All these combined with the aura of the river infuse a sense of calmness here.
Previously it was the administrative capital of Jamboni Zamindari and Dhaalbhum. It is also the birthplace of the famous Bengali author Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay, who wrote the novel Pather Panchali.
In this article, you will get to know the following points about Ghatshila,
Let’s see each of these points in detail.
How to reach Ghatshila from Kolkata
There are different ways to reach Ghatshila from Kolkata. You can travel by train, bus or car.
The best way to reach Ghatshila from Kolkata is by train.
There are several trains available, such as Howrah-Chakradharpur Passenger, Howrah-Barbil Jan Shatabdi Express, Howrah-Tatanagar Steel Express, etc. The train journey may take about 4 to 5 hours.
To reach Ghatshila by bus, you can take a bus from Kolkata to Jamshedpur and then another bus to Ghatshila. It takes about 4-5 hours. The bus journey may take longer depending on the traffic and the availability of buses.
The distance between Kolkata and Ghatshila is about 240 kilometers. It will take about 4 hours to reach. The best way to reach is via AH45 and AH46.
The natural ambiance of Ghatshila
Ghatshila is a picturesque destination in Jharkhand, nestled among the verdant forests. It is a popular weekend destination for people from nearby states like West Bengal, Bihar, and Odisha. The town’s charm lies in its serene weather, stunning scenery, and rich diversity of flora and fauna.
The Subarnarekha River flows through the town, adding to its beauty and tranquility. The rocky shores of the river are a perfect place for clicking pictures of the astounding landscape. The nearby hills, forests, waterfalls, and springs create a lovely natural setting. From the hilltop, you can get a panoramic view of Ghatshila which looks like artwork.
Ghatshila also has some historical attractions, such as the cottage of Bhibutibhusan Bandhopadhyay.
Things to do in Ghatshila
Some of the things you can do in Ghatshila are,
- Visit the house(cottage) of eminent Bengali author and poet Bibhutibhusan Bandhopadhyay.
- Make a visit to the prime pilgrimage shrine- Rakmini Temple dedicated to Goddess kali.
- Have a clear view of the sal forests and the captivating greens bordering the red pebbled trails from the hilltop of magnificent Phuldungri Hills.
- Visit the Dalma Wildlife Sanctuary surrounded by the Dalma hills.
- Watch the stunning sunsets at Raatmohona Riverside.
- Experience the calmness around the Narwa Forest.
- Climb the Pancha Pandav hills, and admire the beauty of the naturally sculpted stones representing the five Pandav brothers from Mahabharata.
- Explore the Santhal community for its craftsmanship, photograph the beautiful paintings, and learn about their techniques.
- You can buy natural colors that are made from soil, leaves twigs, and animal hair.
- Wrap up with the sheer beauty of the Subarnarekha River and feel the tranquil ambiance around the temples and the waterfall there.
- Explore the Dharagiri Waterfalls.
Places to stay in Ghatshila
There are many hotels and resorts in Ghatsila where you can stay.
Some of the recommended ones include Hotel Bibhuti, Muktadhara Natutrtre Resort, Hotel Rammohan, and Suhasita Resort.
Other attractions near Ghatshila
Some of the best attractions near Ghatsila are,
|Attraction||Distance from Ghatshila Station|
|Phuldungri Hill||4 kilometers|
|Rankini Temple||1 kilometer|
|Ramakrishna Math||2 kilometers|
|Burundi Dam||8.5 kilometers|
|Raatmohna Riverside||4.5 kilometers|
|Dharagiri Fall||15 kilometers|
You can learn more about these attractions in the article: Places to visit in Ghatshila.
These are some points about Ghatshila that you must know about.
While visiting this place, you will surely experience serenity all around as it is mainly inhabited by the tribal community.
The natural beauty and the historical attractions of Ghatsila make it a distinctive spot for a weekend getaway.
Some other articles you might like
- 6 Famous Sea Beaches You Must Visit In Odisha
- 5 Best Places And Popular Attractions To Visit In Puri (Odisha)
- 6 Amazing Things To Do (& Experience) In Gangtok 2023
- Bibhutibhushan Wildlife Sanctuary (Parmadan) – Timings, Entry Fee
- Hazarduari Palace (Murshidabad) – Timings, Ticket Price, History
- Ras Mancha (Bishnupur) – Timings, Ticket Price, History
Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the article may contain affiliate links. This means when you book or buy something using these links, you help support the website at no extra cost.