The crispy Kolkata-style fish fry is one of the most relished dishes. It can be a snack or an appetizer depending on the time you urge to eat it. You can get this at almost every corner of the city of joy, be it a roadside stall, or an authentic Bengali Restaurant.
The soft fish fillet dissolves in the mouth as soon as a bite is taken. The crispiness along with the condiments adds an edge along with an amazing texture. the fascinating point is it is incredibly easy to make and that too with just a few ingredients.
If you are in Kolkata, do not miss out on the incredible fish fry. You can even make it at home to remember its delectable taste. Explore each note and dive into a completely different food world.
let us look through the list of ingredients needed and the process to make this delicacy.
Fish Fry Recipe Bengali Style (Bhetki Fish)
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 4 Bhetki Fish Fillet
- 6-8 Green Chilis or according to taste
- 8-10 Garlic cloves
- 1 Onion medium
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper powder
- 1 cup Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 2½-3 cups Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3-4 Eggs
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Black salt
- Vegetable Oil
Marinate the fish fillets
- First, clean the fillets well and then pat them dry.
- Next, marinate them well with lime juice and salt. Keep them aside for around 15 minutes.
- While the fillets are resting, take a blender and add the garlic cloves, green chilis, and the onion (cut it roughly).
- Make a fine and thick paste and to this add the black pepper powder and the finely chopped coriander leaves.
- With this, marinate the fish fillets well. Keep the coated fillets aside for about 40 minutes.
Prepare the crispy upper crust
- On a plate, take the all-purpose flour.
- Next, take a bowl and crack the eggs in it. Whisk them well with some salt to taste.
- On another plate put the bread crumbs along with some salt to taste and black pepper.
Coat the fish fillets
- Now, after the resting time of the fillets, take a fillet and make the first coating with the all-purpose flour. Gently shake off the excess.
- Next, dip the fillet in the whisked eggs.
- Now, put the fillet in the bread crumbs and coat it evenly from all sides.
- Again dip the fillet in the whisked eggs and them into the breadcrumbs. This will ensure a firm coating and will make it much crispier.
- Press in the breadcrumbs gently with a knife and put them in the fridge for half an hour.
- Repeat the process for all the fish fillets.
Fry the fish fillets
- Next, take a kadhai or a deep-frying pan and pour vegetable oil. Heat the oil until it smokes a little.
- Take the fish fillets out of the fridge and one by one add the fillets to the oil. Keep the flame on medium.
- Fry them in batches until they turn golden brown from all the sides. Make sure not to burn them.
- Transfer the fried fish fillets onto a kitchen tissue-covered plate. This will soak off the excess oil.
- Garnish it with some Black salt.
There you go! The super crispy and mouthwatering fish fry is ready to be served. Present it with some freshly sliced raw onions and cucumber, a slice of lime, together with ‘Kasundi‘. Before munching on it, squeeze the lime on top of the fish fry to elevate the flavor.
Prepare it anytime you feel like it and gobble it with your friends and family. Happy cooking!
Cover Photo Credits: Riya Chattopadhyay
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Crispy Potato Wedges Recipe | How To Make Fried Potato Wedges
- Ghugni Recipe | How To Make Street-Style Ghugni At Home
- Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Chicken Jalfrezi
- Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Potato Board Beans Stir Fry
- Kolkata-Style Chicken Manchurian (Gravy) Recipe
- Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Green Onion Stir Fry