Bengalis are incomplete without fish.
We love Hilsa, Katla, Rohu, and prawns and we generally return home from the market with our bags loaded with different kinds of fish, especially Katla.
Each and every occasion of Bengalis remains incomplete without fish recipes.
We also love to cook fish in many different ways.
Here, you will get to know how to prepare the special recipe of Doi Katla.
Lets have a look…
Doi Katla Maach Recipe
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Mixer Grinder
- 5-6 pcs Katla fish
- onion paste 2 medium size
- Coriander powder
- jeera powder
- whole jeera
- whole garam masala
- cashew nut paste
- 7 tbsp curd
- ginger-garlic paste
- green chilies slit
- mustard oil
- bay leaf
- To make Doi Katla, first, marinate the fish pieces with salt and turmeric for about 15 minutes then heat some mustard oil in a pan.
- After the oil is heated fry both sides of the fish pieces well and keep those aside.
- Now add whole cumin, bay leaf, and whole garam masala in the same oil.
- After the oil releases aroma, add the onion paste and fry it well.
- After the onion paste has been fried well add ginger garlic paste.
- Now add all the dry roasted masalas which would include 1 tablespoon coriander powder, 1 tablespoon cumin powder, salt, sugar, turmeric powder, and red chili powder.
- Now mix all the masalas well until it releases oil.
- You can add a little bit of water in order to mix the masalas well so that the masalas won’t stick in the pan.
- Now add cashew nut paste and hung curd.
- As the recipe is Doi Katla, so the quantity of hung curd should be a bit more compared to the others ingredients.
- Now add hot water accordingly based on how much consistency you would like to keep in the curry.
- Add the fried fish pieces.
- If you want you can add garam masala powder and ghee to enhance the taste. You can even avoid it as you have already added whole garam masalas.
- Lastly, garnish the entire recipe with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot.
Doi Katla is indeed an authentic recipe of the Bengalis.
Whether you are a bong or a not, you can definitely try this recipe at home.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- 6 Delicious Sandwich Recipes to Make for Breakfast or Snack
- Chicken Chowmin Recipe | How to make Chicken Chow at home
- Ilish Macher Tel Jhol Recipe | How to make Hilsa Light Gravy easily
- Butter Garlic Naan Recipe | Soft Butter Naan (without tandoor)
- Taler Bora Recipe | How to make Sugar Palm Fritters at home
- Muri Ghonto Recipe | How to make Bengali Style Muri Ghonto