Bengalis are incomplete without fish. We love Hilsa, Katla, Rohu, and prawns and we generally return home from the market with our bags loaded with different kinds of fish, especially Katla.
Each and every occasion of Bengalis remains incomplete without fish recipes. We also love to cook fish in many different ways. Here, you will get to know how to prepare the special recipe of Doi Katla.
Lets have a look.
Doi Katla Maach Recipe (Bengali Style)
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Mixer Grinder
- 4-5 pcs Katla fish medium to large
- 1-1½ tbsp Mustard Oil
- ½-1 tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Red chili powder for color
- 1½ pinch Cumin seeds
- 1 pinch Black cumin seeds
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Clove
- Cinnamon stick a small piece/an inch
- 1 cup Curd
- 2-3 Green Chili paste
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 Onion paste large
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Pumpkin seed-Cashew-Raisin paste
- Salt to tatse
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Garam masala Powder optional
Fry the fish pieces
- First, marinate the pieces of fish with salt and turmeric and keep it for about 15 minutes.
- Then heat some mustard oil in a kadhai/pan.
- After the oil is heated, fry both sides of the fish pieces well until golden brown. take them out of the oil and keep them aside.
Prepare the gravy
- Now, add whole cumin, black cumin seeds, bay leaf, and whole garam masala in the same oil. If needed top the leftover oil with some more.
- Stir them well till you get the fragrance from the aromatics. Then add the onion paste and fry it well.
- After the onion paste turns translucent and brownish, add in the ginger-garlic paste.
- Now add in the coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, sugar, turmeric powder, and red chili powder.
- Mix and stir all the masalas continuously until oil is released from it.
- Give a splash of water and continue stirring. his is done to cook the masala well.
- Now, when it reaches a certain consistancy, add in the cashew nut-pumpkin seed-raisin paste along with the curd.
- Combine every ingredient nicely so that all comes together and stir them fro arond 5-7 minutes.
- Add hot water according to the consistency you want. Combine them well again and let them simmer for some time.
Add the fish pieces
- When the gravy thickens, put in the fish pieces gently and cover them well with the gravy.
- If you want, you can sprinkle some garam masala powder to enhance the taste. This is absolutely optional.
- Give it a taste and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Finally, stir it once again before taking it out of the flame.
- Transfer it to a bowl and serve it hot.
Doi Katla is indeed an authentic recipe of the Bengalis. Whether you are a bong or not, you can definitely try this recipe at home.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Koraishutir Kochuri Recipe | How To Make Motor Sutir (Peas) Kachori
- Soyabean Kofta Curry Recipe (Bengali-Style) – How To Make At Home
- Sada Aloor Tarkari Recipe | How To Make Bengali Light Potato Curry
- Spring Roll Recipe | How To Make Crispy Spring Roll Easily
- Paneer Kabab Recipe | How To Make Paneer Tikka At Home
- Methi Saag Bora Recipe | How To Make Fenugreek Leaves Pakoda