We all like to try out different delicious recipes of chicken all the time. Making chicken is really very easy and doesn’t require too much hassles. All you need is some readymade masalas and chicken, of course.
As it pairs well with all dishes and is quite time-saving, you can prepare a chicken recipe in no time even after a long tiring day.
Items like Chicken Lababdar and Chicken Butter Masala taste delicious when cooked with a lot of spices, especially during rainy days. However, you will get to know about how you can make pepper chicken easily at home.
Let us see the list of ingredients and the process to make it.
Dahi Pepper Chicken Recipe (Chicken Kali Mirch)
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Mixer Grinder
- 500 g Chicken
- 1 cup Sour Curd or Yogurt
- 15-20 Black peppercorns
- 2 Green Chilis or according to heat tolerance
- 2 Onion medium, finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger
- 7-8 cloves Garlic
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 2 Bay leaf
- 3 Green Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- 10 Cashew nuts optional
- 1 tbsp Fresh Cream
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- 2 tsp Butter
- Vegetable oil
Marinate the Chicken
- First, wash the chicken pieces and put them into a mixing bowl.
- Next, dry roast the black peppercorns. Roast them until they are fragrant and then keep them aside to cool down a bit.
- Now, grind them using a sil batta/mortar and pestle/grinder.
- After that, add one tbsp of whisked Sour curd/yogurt, salt to taste, and 1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper into the mixing bowl containing the pieces of chicken.
- Mix and combine all the ingredients. Coat the chicken pieces really well and keep them in the fridge for about 40 minutes.
Prepare the ingredients
- While the chicken is resting, soak the cashews (if using) in warm water for about 10 minutes.
- After that, take them out of the water and grind them along with sour curd /yogurt. Make them into a creamy paste and keep them aside.
- Next, blend the ginger, clove of garlic, and the green chilis.
Prepare the gravy
- After the chicken pieces are well-rested and all the masala preparations are ready, take a kadhai. Add some oil and heat it until it smokes a little.
- Now, add the bay leaves, black cardamom, green cardamom, and cloves to the oil.
- Stir them for some time in the oil until the fragrance is released from the aromatics.
- After around a minute, add the finely chopped onions and stir. Fry them for about 3-4 minutes or until they start to turn translucent.
- Next, add in the ginger, garlic, and green chili paste. Combine everything and stir consistently.
- Fry them until the raw smell goes away.
- Now, take out all the whole spices from the kadhai and then add the cashews and sour curd/yogurt paste.
- Stir them nicely with all the other ingredients. Keep on stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water and stir. Cover the kadhai with a lid and let the gravy simmer for around 6-8 minutes. Stir it occasionally.
- Add salt to taste and sugar to balance the salt. Keep the flame on medium.
- After about 6-8 minutes remove the lid and stir consistently by scraping from the sides and bottom.
- Cook it until you see the oil is separating out of the gravy.
Add the chicken pieces
- Now, add the pieces of marinated chicken and stir well.
- Cover the kadhai again and let the chicken cook in the gravy for about 10-15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the lid and check the chicken. Also, take a taste test.
- By now the chicken should be tender and cooked to perfection.
- Stir and then add the freshly ground black pepper.
- Combine everything well and let them cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Next, add the butter and stir.
- Turn off the flame and transfer the chicken into a bowl.
- Garnish it by drizzling a tbsp of fresh cream.
Voila! The luscious and creamy Dahi Pepper Chicken is ready to be served. Pair it with steamed rice, fried rice, or any flat bread of your choice. Do not miss out on some freshly cut salad.
Make it any time you want to savor and enjoy a party inside your mouth. It is pretty easy to prepare, so don’t wait and try this recipe today.
Share and relish the joy of this dish with all. Enjoy!
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Crispy Potato Wedges Recipe | How To Make Fried Potato Wedges
- Ghugni Recipe | How To Make Street-Style Ghugni At Home
- Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Chicken Jalfrezi
- Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Potato Board Beans Stir Fry
- Kolkata-Style Chicken Manchurian (Gravy) Recipe
- Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Green Onion Stir Fry