The word Tikka in Chicken Tikka Kebab generally means “pieces” and is a Persian word. Although there are many theories regarding the origin, these juicy bits of meat are loved by people from all over India as well as the world.
It became popular during the Mughal rule in the Indian subcontinent and since then it has been made and cherished. Still today it is done in the traditional way but with a bit of modification. However, the flavor profile of the recipe is not lost and is scrumptious.
The soft tender chunks of spicy chicken with smoky zing form an ideal snack or even a meal to relish. Prepare it at home in no time and reveal it however you want to.
Let us see the list of ingredients and the process to make Chicken Tikka Kebab at home.
Chicken Tikka Kebab Recipe (Tandoori Chicken Tikka)
- 500 g Chicken boneless
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili powder
- 1½ tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper powder or according to heat tolerance
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- ½ cup Hung Curd or Yogurt; sour
- 1 tbsp Kasuri Methi dried fenugreek leaves
- ¾ tbsp Ginger paste
- ¾ tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup Green Bell Pepper
- ½ cup Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Onion large
- 1 Lime
Prepare the chicken
- First, wash the chicken and cut it into 1½ to 2-inch pieces.
- Transfer them into a bowl and pat them dry with kitchen tissue to get rid of any excess moisture.
Marinate the Chicken Pieces
- Add the ginger and garlic paste into the bowl containing the chicken along with the hung curd or yogurt.
- Mix them nicely.
- Next, add the cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, garam masala powder, chaat masala, black pepper powder, and salt to taste.
- Also, add the mustard oil, and crushed kasuri methi.
- Mix all the condiments nicely and coat the chicken pieces well.
- Cover and keep them aside for about 10 hours or overnight. This will make the chicken tender and succulent.
Prepare the Veggies
- Wash the bell peppers and cut them into cubes.
- Chop half of the onion into cubes and separate the layers. Slice the other half of the onion and keep them aside.
Grill the Chicken
- After the resting time, remove the cover and put the veggies into the chicken.
- Mix the veggies with the marinade nicely.
- Cover them and keep them aside for about half an hour.
Using an oven:
- If you are using bamboo skewers for making the tikka kebabs, then soak the skewers in water for about 40 minutes. This will prevent the skewers from burning.
- While the skewers are soaking, prep the baking tray by lining it with aluminum foil.
- Now, after the soaking time, take the skewers out of the water and pat them dry.
- Next, preheat the oven for around 15 -20 minutes at 240 ̊C.
- In the meantime, thread the chicken pieces, bell peppers, and diced onions in sequence. Repeat this sequence for about 80% of the skewer.
- Do this with all the skewers and when the oven is heated, place them on the tray. Make sure to have spacing between the skewers.
- Grill them for about 10 minutes from one side and then turn to the other side using a tong. In between, brush them with melted butter. This will prevent the chicken from drying.
- Do this until they are perfectly cooked from both sides. (Every oven has differences, so the timings may vary).
- When it looks like done, take them out and check one piece of chicken by breaking it from the middle.
- If it is cooked through, then transfer them onto a plate and go for the second batch.
Using a Pan:
- Thread the chicken pieces, bell peppers, and diced onions in sequence. Repeat this sequence for about 80% of the skewer.
- Now, add butter to the pan and spread it throughout the surface.
- Let it heat a little over medium flame and then place the skewers.
- Grill them for about 5-6 minutes on each side. Turn them at regular intervals and grill until they are perfectly cooked.
- For the charred texture, remove the pan after the tikka is cooked. Then, take one skewer at a time and hold it over a direct flame. Keep the flame on low to medium.
- Turn frequently to prevent them from burning.
- Or, you may also use a steel gauge grill to do more than one at a time. Simply place the skewers on the steel gauge grill and then hold the grill over medium flame.
- Turn them for a few times until a bit charred all over and then transfer them onto a plate.
Make the Chicken Tikka Kebabs smoky
- Place all the chicken tikka skewers on a large plate. Leave a small space in the middle.
- Next, take a piece of charcoal and heat it over the fire.
- Do it until the charcoal is red hot. Place it in a small bowl and then place the bowl in the small space on the chicken tikka plate.
- Put 1 tsp of ghee or melted butter on the red hot charcoal and immediately it will start to smoke.
- Instantly cover the plate nicely to seal it completely for around 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover after 5 minutes and sprinkle just a bit of black pepper powder as a garnish.
Ta-daa! The mouth-wateringly juicy Chicken Tikka Kebab is ready to be served.
Pair it with a lime wedge and some freshly sliced raw onions. You can have it as a snack or wrap it with a rumali roti.
For the Rumali roti roll, do spread some mayonnaise, and mint chutney. Then place the chicken tikka kebabs along with the veggies.
Lastly, squeeze some lime juice, a bit of black salt, and the raw onion slices. This combination tastes divine. Make it and enjoy.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Koraishutir Kochuri Recipe | How To Make Motor Sutir (Peas) Kachori
- Soyabean Kofta Curry Recipe (Bengali-Style) – How To Make At Home
- Sada Aloor Tarkari Recipe | How To Make Bengali Light Potato Curry
- Spring Roll Recipe | How To Make Crispy Spring Roll Easily
- Paneer Kabab Recipe | How To Make Paneer Tikka At Home
- Methi Saag Bora Recipe | How To Make Fenugreek Leaves Pakoda