Delectable succulent fried chicken balls in a spicy and savory sauce! Who would say no to such a dish?
Chicken Manchurian is an Indo-Chinese cuisine that is way too popular in India. This fusion food is adored by a lot of people and many times a go-to when one cannot decide what to have. The concoction of different flavors in the dish makes the taste buds dance.
Though it sounds a bit difficult, making it is way easier. Not every time we like to have the gravy in the restaurant, and this is when the homemade version comes to a rescue.
It will be much healthier, scrumptious, and will not need any thinking before eating. Try your hands on this recipe and check how it turns out.
Let us go through the list of ingredients and the entire process of making it.
Chicken Manchurian Recipe (Kolkata-Style)
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Kadhai
- 500 g Chicken boneless
- 1½ tsp Ginger paste
- 1½ tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1½ tsp Garlic paste
- 1½ tbsp Garlic chopped
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 Egg
- 4 tbsp Corn starch
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 3 Green Chili paste
- ½ cup Chicken Stock or water
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Red Chili sauce
- 2 tbsp Schezwan sauce
- 2 tsp Green Chili sauce
- 1 Bell pepper or Capsicum
- 2 tbsp Spring onions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Chives optional
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil
Chop the chicken
- First, wash the chicken and then chop it finely.
- Next, transfer it into a bowl.
Marinate the chicken
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste, green chili paste, black pepper, and salt to taste.
- Mix all of them nicely.
- Now, crack an egg into the bowl.
- Add the cornstarch and all-purpose flour.
- Combine all the components nicely.
- Set them aside for around an hour.
Prepare the veggies
- In the meantime, wash the bell pepper, spring onions, and chives (optional).
- Dice the bell pepper, thinly slice the spring onions and chop the chop into small pieces.
- Keep them aside.
Fry the chicken balls
- After that, when the chicken is marinated well, take a kadhai or a deep-frying pan and pour some oil.
- Let the oil heat until it smokes a little.
- Scoop out (can use your fingers, a tbsp, or a scoop) a small portion of the marinated minced chicken and put them gently in the oil.
- Fry the chicken balls from all sides until golden brown.
- Fry them in batches.
- Now, when they are done, transfer them to a kitchen tissue-covered plate. This will soak off the excess oil.
Fry the veggies
- Now take a skillet or a pan and add some oil. Let it heat on medium flame.
- When the oil is hot, add the finely chopped ginger and garlic.
- Fry them until a bit golden and then add the diced bell peppers.
Prepare the gravy
- Stir them for a minute and then add in the chicken stock or water in the skillet.
- Stir them well.
- Sprinkle the black pepper on it.
- In a bowl take 2 tbsp of water, schezwan sauce, red chili sauce, green chili sauce, soy sauce, and 2 tsp corn starch.
- Mix them nicely and then pour the mixture into the pan or skillet.
- Combine all of them together. (If you want you can add some tomato sauce).
- Stir them for 2 minutes.
Add the fried chicken balls
- When the gravy starts to thicken a bit, add in the chicken balls. Keep the flame on medium.
- Check the salt. If needed add salt to taste.
- Scrape from all the sides and mix them nicely.
- When the gravy reaches your desired consistency, add in the spring onions.
- Give them a final mix and transfer them into a bowl.
- Garnish it with the chives.
There you go! The delicious Chicken Manchurian is ready to be gobbled. Present it with fried rice or Hakka noodles and dive into its rich lip-smacking flavors.
It can be an appetizer or a side dish depending on when how you want to eat it. Serve it on any occasion or make it just like that to satisfy your chicken cravings.
The dish will please you and everyone else who relishes it. Enjoy a hearty meal!
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Crispy Potato Wedges Recipe | How To Make Fried Potato Wedges
- Ghugni Recipe | How To Make Street-Style Ghugni At Home
- Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Chicken Jalfrezi
- Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Potato Board Beans Stir Fry
- Kolkata-Style Chicken Manchurian (Gravy) Recipe
- Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Green Onion Stir Fry