Chicken Lollipop is one of the most loved and ordered Indo-Chinese dishes. This is an appetizer and a snack for almost all occasions. The lollipops are served in all the Indian-Chinese restaurants and are a favorite of not only the kids but also the grown-ups.
The delicious, flavorful, saucy, and crispy bites of the juicy chicken fit into any party, family dinner, outing, or other kind of celebration. I kind of have a lot of memories of this particular dish, every time a new one when I visit an Indo-Chinese restaurant. So, this food item takes me down memory lane and gives the essence back.
Some foods are not just a plate filler, they are more than that. So, just thought why not create an amazing Chicken Lollipop Recipe at home and take in all the fun? Let us see how to make this easy-peasy recipe together with a luscious sauce and what are the ingredients needed to create the masterpiece.
Chicken Lollipop (Drums Of Heaven) Recipe
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Kadhai
- 8 chicken drumettes/wings
- 1 ½ -2 cups Vegetable oil
- 2 ½ tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 2 ½ tsp Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Pepper
- ½ -1 cup Curd
- ½ cup Corn flour
- 1 tbsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Onion finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp Vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp Soya sauce
- 1 tbsp Red chili paste
- Sugar for a hint of sweetness
- 1/2 tbsp Spring onions chopped; optional
- ½ tbsp coriander leaves chopped
Prepare the chicken lollipops
- First, take the drumettes/wings and wash them well. Remove the skin from all the pieces. This is optional, if you want the skin intact, you can do that.
- Next, carefully scrape from the end which has less meat, and take your knife down steadily and gently.
- French the chicken drumettes/wings and give them a proper shape.
Prepare the buttermilk
- Now, you need to prepare the buttermilk.
- For that, take some curd, salt to taste, and water. Whisk or blend it until you get a smooth mixture. Make sure not to put too much water and maintain a certain consistency.
Coat the chicken with buttermilk
- In an air-tight container or a container with a lid, transfer the buttermilk and put in the frenched drumettes/wings.
- Coat them and then put them in the refrigerator for around 4-5 hours. This step is very important.
- After that, take them out and strain the excess buttermilk.
Add the spices
- To the drumettes/ wings add the ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, and black pepper powder, and combine them really well.
- Keep them aside for around 30 minutes so that the flavors seep in well.
Coat the chicken
- Next, in a bowl take some corn flour and salt. Mix it well and then add the drumettes/wings to it.
- Give them a nice shape with your palm and fingers by pressing gently.
Fry the chicken
- Now, add oil in a deep-frying pan/kadhai and heat it until the oil smokes lightly.
- Put the coated drumettes/wings in the oil one by one. Keep the flame on medium for better cooking.
- Do not hurry the frying process. When the chicken lollipops turn golden brown, take them out of the oil and place them on a paper towel.
- Continue frying all the other lollipops.
- When all are done, start with the sauce preparation.
Prepare the sauce
- For the sauce, take another frying pan and heat some oil. You can use butter as well.
- Now, to the heated oil, put in the chopped ginger and garlic.
- Fry them well until you get an amazing fragrance and then add in the finely chopped onions.
- Sauté all together and cook the onions until translucent.
- Next, add the red chili paste, a bit of red chili powder, and some water.
- Combine and cook everything well for around 3 minutes.
- To the mix, put the vinegar, soy sauce, salt to taste, and sugar.
- Cook everything for around 2 minutes. Add a splash of water if you feel that the sauce is drying up.
- When it comes to a desired consistency, take a taste.
Add the fried chicken lollipops
- When you are satisfied with the flavours add the hot fried chicken lollipops in the sauce.
- Toss the lollipops gently in the spicy, sour, sweet sticky sauce.
- After everything gets coated with the delicious sauce transfer the chicken lollipops onto a plate.
Garnish the chicken lollipops
- Next, wrap the thin edges with aluminum foil. This is for a good appearance. You can skip it if you do not want to.
- When done, garnish the lollipops with the chopped coriander leaves and chopped spring onions (optional).
Voila! Your favorite delicious chicken lollipops are ready to be gobbled.
Serve it hot with some raw onion rings and a slice of lime on the side. Munch on the meaty goodness and feel how the chicken falls apart in the mouth.
Make it whenever you feel like be it a party or even on a rainy evening, and enjoy it thoroughly.
Disclaimer: The image used is for representative purposes only.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Crispy Potato Wedges Recipe | How To Make Fried Potato Wedges
- Ghugni Recipe | How To Make Street-Style Ghugni At Home
- Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Chicken Jalfrezi
- Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Potato Board Beans Stir Fry
- Kolkata-Style Chicken Manchurian (Gravy) Recipe
- Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Green Onion Stir Fry