Chicken Jalfrezi is a stir fry that is spicy, zingy, and robust. This will be perfect if you are searching for a mouth-watering dish that takes less time to make.
The veggies make it crunchy and subtle, while the chicken fills the dish with lots of protein. Just a bite and you will be astonished at how amazing the dish tastes. This was brought in by the Bengali cooks and was made out of the left-over roast chicken. Jalfrezi is very popular in the UK although the origination was in the then undivided India.
You will get this delectable food item in restaurants, but making it in your kitchen is a whole new adventure. With all the essential ingredients the recipe will be prepared in no time.
Let us see what are the ingredients and the procedure to make it.
Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe (Bengali-Style)
- 500 g Chicken boneless; diced
- 1½ tbsp Garlic paste
- 1½ tbsp Ginger paste
- 4-5 Green Chili paste
- 2 Tomatoes medium, puree
- 2 Onion medium
- 1 cup Bell pepper diced
- 1½ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Vinegar or lime juice
- 1 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
- Vegetable oil
Marinate the chicken
- First, wash and marinate the chicken pieces with lime juice or vinegar.
- Keep it in the refrigerator for 3-5 hours.
Prepare the veggies
- Next, chop 1 onion into small pieces and dice the other one.
- Before starting to cook, take the chicken out of the fridge.
Prepare the gravy
- Now, take a nonstick pan or kadhai and add vegetable oil.
- Let the oil heat until it smokes a little.
- Add the chopped onions to the pan or kadhai. Fry it for around 3-6 minutes.
- Add the ginger, green chili, and garlic paste to the pan.
- Stir everything and fry them until the raw smell is gone and the color changes to golden.
Add the chicken
- Now add the chicken pieces.
- Fry them until the pink color vanishes. This should take around 3-5 minutes.
- To this, add the tomato puree. Keep the flame on medium and let them cook.
- Stir consistently and let the tomato puree reduce in consistency.
Add the masalas
- When the ingredients start to brown and separate out the oil, add the black pepper powder, coriander powder, Garam masala, turmeric powder, and red chili powder.
- Combine all of them and stir continuously. Do this for around 4 minutes.
- If needed, add a splash of water and then the tomato ketchup. Stir and let them cook.
- Add some salt to the pan. Keep the flame on low.
Add the veggies
- Next, add the diced bell peppers and onions.
- Give them a toss and then a splash of water.
- Cook for around 5 minutes.
Prepare Chicken Jalfrezi
- Give a test taste and then add the vinegar or lime juice. Add if anything is needed.
- Stir everything again. The consistency should be on the drier side.
- Now, turn off the flame and sprinkle some black pepper.
- Transfer them to a bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Ta-daa! The edgy Chicken Jalfrezi is ready to be presented. Serve it with steamed rice or any flat bread of choice. You can also savor it just like that without pairing it with anything.
This simple dish is effortless yet absolutely delicious. Make it anytime you feel like and stuff your belly with it. The Jalfrezi is packed with flavors and will impress one and all who ever relishes it.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Crispy Potato Wedges Recipe | How To Make Fried Potato Wedges
- Ghugni Recipe | How To Make Street-Style Ghugni At Home
- Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Chicken Jalfrezi
- Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Potato Board Beans Stir Fry
- Kolkata-Style Chicken Manchurian (Gravy) Recipe
- Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Green Onion Stir Fry