Looking for a recipe that will give you food pleasure? Well, you have come to the right place!
Butter Chicken, or Murg Makhani is a dish, not only adored by Indians but also by people from different parts of the world.
The buttery and super creamy texture of the dish will make you crave more. A bit of smokiness is added to the succulent tawa fried or grilled chicken. This authentic North Indian cuisine tastes heavenly.
The blend of aromatic spices together with all the other ingredients makes it unique. Prepare your own concoction at home with the juicy bits of chicken and enjoy every bite of it.
Let us look through the list of all the ingredients and the process to make it.
Butter Chicken Recipe (Murg Makhani)
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Mixer Grinder
- 500 g Chicken boneless
- 3 tbsp Hung Curd or Greek Yogurt
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- ½ tbsp Lime juice
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- ½ tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili powder for color
- ½ tsp Red Chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- ½ -1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Onion medium
- 3-4 Tomatoes large
- 20 Cashew nuts soaked overnight
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 2-3 Green Chilis
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 3-5 Cloves
- 3 Green Cardamom
- 2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- Garam Masala powder to taste
- 1½ tsp Dried Kasuri Methi
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Sugar or to taste
- Fresh cream
- Vegetable oil
- Hot Water
Cut the chicken
- First, start by washing the chicken. Then cut the boneless chicken into 2 ½ inch size pieces.
- Next, pat them dry with a kitchen tissue and transfer them into a large mixing bowl.
Marinate the chicken
- To this, add the lime juice, red chili powder, ginger garlic paste, salt, and oil.
- Mix and coat the chicken pieces well. Cover and keep them aside for about 30 minutes.
- After the resting time, add the hung curd or Greek yogurt, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder.
- Combine all the ingredients well and refrigerate them overnight.
- Before starting to prepare the gravy, take the chicken out of the fridge after resting it overnight.
Heat some butter
- Take a kadhai or cooking pot, and put butter in it.
- Keep the flame on medium and let the butter heat up.
Prepare the veggies
- While the butter is heating up roughly cut the onion and tomatoes.
- Next, add the onions into the kadhai and sauté it well.
- Stir until it turns a bit golden and then turn off the flame.
- Let the onions cool down completely.
- Take a blender and put the roughly cut tomatoes. Also, add the onions, green chili, soaked cashews, and ½ cup of warm water into the blender.
- Blend them until a smooth paste is formed.
- After that strain the creamy paste into another bowl to use it later.
Prepare the gravy
- In the same kadhai (used before) add more butter if needed.
- Let it heat and then add the green cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Stir them until fragrance comes out of the aromatics.
- Next, add in the ginger garlic paste.
- Stir them well for about 2 minutes until the raw smell is gone.
- Put the flame to low, and then add the red chili powder, coriander powder, Cumin powder, and garam masala powder.
- Stir everything nicely.
- Next, add the creamy paste or puree into the kadhai.
- Put the flame on medium and combine all the ingredients.
- Cover the kadhai partially and let it boil for about 10-12 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now, when the gravy starts to separate out the oil, stir it consistently for about 2-4 minutes, and then add 1 cup of hot water.
- Cover the kadhai partially and let the gravy cook.
Fry the chicken
- While the gravy is getting prepared, take tawa or a frying pan.
- Add butter and let it heat.
- Next, fry the chicken until all the moisture is gone. Keep the flame on medium.
- Turn the flame on high and fry from all sides until they get a bit of char on the surface.
- Stir consistently and make sure not to burn it.
- By this time the gravy will come to a thicker consistency.
Add the chicken to the gravy
- Put the chicken pieces into the gravy and coat them well with it.
- If the gravy is too thick, you can add ½ cup of hot water.
Prepare butter chicken
- Let the gravy along with the chicken simmer for 5 minutes.
- Now add salt to taste and sugar.
- Stir and let the gravy come to a thicker and creamy consistency.
- Next, add the crushed dried kasuri methi.
- Stir well.
- In a small bowl take some gravy and then add 2 tbsp fresh cream.
- Mix and then add to the kadhai.
- Combine everything and take a taste test.
- Add if anything is needed and finally add a dollop of butter.
- Transfer it to a bowl and garnish with a bit more fresh cream.
Ta-daa! The rich and succulent butter chicken is ready to be gobbled. Serve it with steamed rice, peas pulao, tandoori roti, or any other bread of choice. Also, pair some freshly sliced onions, cucumber, and a few sliced mint leaves all mixed together for a hint of freshness.
This is an absolute delight. Whoever you serve it to, will not be able to stop licking their fingers. Eat and share with all.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Crispy Potato Wedges Recipe | How To Make Fried Potato Wedges
- Ghugni Recipe | How To Make Street-Style Ghugni At Home
- Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Chicken Jalfrezi
- Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Potato Board Beans Stir Fry
- Kolkata-Style Chicken Manchurian (Gravy) Recipe
- Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Green Onion Stir Fry