We often go out with friends to several restaurants and try different types of food. But preparing a robust chicken recipe and enjoying it at home is really satisfactory. Today I have brought for you a yummy chicken recipe called Afghani chicken recipe.
As the name suggests its main origin was in Afghanistan and was introduced in India through the India-Afghanistan trade route. The ingredients are really simple yet come together to form a brilliant dish to relish.
Let us look at the list of ingredients and the procedure to make it.
Afghani Chicken Curry Recipe
- 1 Kadhai
- 1 Induction Cooktop
- 1 Mixer Grinder
- 500 g Chicken
- 1 cup Curd
- 1-2 Onion medium; chopped
- 1 inch Ginger paste
- 4-6 cloves Garlic paste
- 2-3 Green Chilis paste
- 1-2 tbsp Coriander leaves paste
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- ½ tsp Coriander powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tbsp Fresh cream
- ½ tsp Pepper
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp Dry Kasuri methi Dry Fenugreek leaves
- Vegetable oil
Prepare the ingredients
- First, clean the chicken and give a few slits on the chicken pieces.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion.
- Next, take a blender. To that, add the chopped onion, garlic cloves, ginger, coriander leaves, and Green Chilis.
- Blend all of them into a fine paste and keep aside.
- Now, take a bowl and whisk the curd until smooth and creamy.
Marinate the chicken pieces
- Take a large mixing bowl and put the already cleaned chicken pieces. Add the whisked curd, black pepper powder, garam masala powder, salt, onion, garlic, ginger, green chili, and coriander leaves paste.
- Mix them well and coat all the pieces of chicken.
- Keep them aside for about 30 minutes.
Prepare the gravy
- Now, after the resting time, take a kadhai and add some vegetable oil. Let the oil heat until it smokes.
- In the hot oil gently put the chicken pieces. Fry it until the chicken turns golden brown.
- Next, take the chicken out of the kadhai and place them in a plate.
- In the same kadhai add some more oil if needed. Add the bay leaf (tear it from the middle), cinnamon stick, and green cardamom. Stir them until fragrance comes out of the aromatics.
- Next, add the marinade (consisting of the curd, onion, ginger, garlic, green chili, and coriander leaves paste) into the kadhai.
- Stir everything really well. Keep the flame on medium.
Add the chicken pieces
- Keep on stirring for about 5 minutes. Gently place the chicken into the shimmering gravy and mix.
- If needed put some water and cover the kadhai. Let them simmer for 5 more minutes.
- After that, add the cumin powder and coriander powder. Keep stirring.
Prepare Afghani Chicken
- The gravy will start to thicken. Add the fresh cream and combine them nicely.
- Next, put salt to taste and the dried Kasuri methi or dried fenu greek leaves.
- Mix and stir them until the desired creamy and semi-thick consistency is reached.
- Give a taste test. Add if anything is needed. Also, check if the chicken is cooked well.
- Now, spread a bit of ghee on the gravy and combine well.
- Turn the flame off and cover the kadhai for a few minutes.
- After that transfer the Aghani Chicken into a bowl.
- Garnish it with a few coriander leaves and a bit of fresh cream.
There you go! The luscious dish is prepared to be gobbled. Chicken Afghani can be best paired up with Rumali roti, garlic butter nun, or fried rice.
You can prepare this mouth-watering recipe for special occasions too. However, you don’t need to wait for the special times to come, make it when you crave it. Share and savor!
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some of the links provided in the recipe are affiliate links. This means when you buy anything using those links, you help support this website at no extra cost.
Find more Recipes
- Crispy Potato Wedges Recipe | How To Make Fried Potato Wedges
- Ghugni Recipe | How To Make Street-Style Ghugni At Home
- Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe | How To Make Bengali-Style Chicken Jalfrezi
- Sheem Aloo Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Potato Board Beans Stir Fry
- Kolkata-Style Chicken Manchurian (Gravy) Recipe
- Aloo Peyajkoli Bhaja Recipe | How To Make Green Onion Stir Fry